I work in strategy and regional collaboration in local government. In this role I have been working with elected representatives, senior council staff, iwi, business and community representatives.
Prior to this role I worked in a demographic and economic research unit at the University of Waikato undertaking research on older people, retirement incomes, fly in and fly out workers in mining and gas industries, demographic research for education providers and the census.
My personal research covers regional decline, interventions at regional and local level, and impact of tsunamis on older people in at risk areas.
- Location: Waikato
- Qualifications: All Researchers
- Ethnic Groups: New Zealand European
- Area of Expertise: Research and Evaluation, Community Development, Governance & Kaitiakitanga
- Key Publications: McMillan, R. (2016). Chapter 9: The shrinkage pathway: Managing regional depopulation - In Spoonley, P. (ed.) Rebooting the Regions. Massey University Press. McMillan, R. (2016). Applying international lessons and strategies to rural New Zealand. Presentation to SOLGM. McMillan, R. (2015). Anticipating subnational population: Policy responses and strategic interventions to regional decline. Masters Thesis, University of Waikato, New Zealand. McMillan, R. (2015). Strategic interventions to population decline: Final Report. Report commissioned by the Local Authority Shared Services. University of Waikato, Hamilton. 110 pages. McMillan, R. (2015). Anticipating depopulation – can population decline be halted? Presentation to the Population Association of New Zealand Conference (PANZ). Hamilton, 29 - 30 June. McMillan, R. (2015). Taking action on depopulation - strategic interventions. Presentation to Southland District Council and Venture Southland. Jackson, N.O., Pawar, S. & McMillan, R. (2014). Te Wānanga o Aotearoa. Part B: Industry Demand. University of Waikato, National Institute of Demographic and Economic Analysis. Kukutai, T., McMillan, R., & Mason-Mackay, J. (2014). Moving out to stay at home: Fly-in/Fly-out workers who live in Aotearoa New Zealand and work overseas. 16th LEW Conference. Wellington, New Zealand; 27 - 28 November. (Presented by Rachael McMillan) McMillan, R. (2014). A disaster waiting to happen? Elderly people and population ageing in at risk locations. Australian Population Association 2014 Conference. Hobart, 3-5 December. McMillan, R. (2014). Anticipating depopulation – discussing solutions to regional decline. Poster presentation to the Australian Population Association 2014 Conference. Hobart, 3-5 December. Jackson, N., Cochrane, W., & McMillan, R. (2013). Workforce participation of older workers as an element of New Zealand’s Retirement Income Framework. Report to Commission for Financial Literacy and Retirement Income, Wellington. p.1-43.
- Phone: +6478386637
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org