My PhD research explores obstacles to, and opportunities for implementing sustainability in the teaching and practice of design in higher education and in business. I focused on what sustainability means and how it can be completely incorporated throughout tertiary teaching and within design business globally and nationally. Through a pragmatic, grounded theory methodology and a constant comparative analysis approach, I am confident in making recommendations to assist tertiary teachers and business leaders move towards a more sustainable future.
My experience of putting this knowledge from my thesis research into practice is two-fold. Firstly, I spent two and a half years working for a community trust researching, analysing and writing about  climate change and the effects on local coastal communities in our area,  local food systems and what changes are needed in order to be able to feed ourselves from our locally grown food.
Secondly, I am a business and sustainability consultant at Ahika. In this role I provide behavioural change advice (through observations, workshops and group discussions) to local businesses in any sector that want to future proof their business (this is based on triple-bottom line reporting including economic, environmental and social change). I have also conducted research and analysis, with my most recent project following on from the local food systems (mentioned above) to consider the challenges and opportunities for local food economies within Otago.
- Location: Otago
- Qualifications: Bachelor Degree, PhD or Doctorate
- Ethnic Groups: New Zealand European
- Area of Expertise: Research and Evaluation, Community Development, Education & Training, Environment, Non-profit Sector, Volunteering / Mahi Aroha
- Mobile: 021 254 8928
- Key Publications: • Mann, S., & Bould, NL. (2011). Searching for strategic attributes in graduating projects. Paper presented at the 2nd Annual Conference of Computing and Information Technology, Education and Research in New Zealand (incorporating 24th Annual NACCQ), Rotorua, NZ. • Bould, NL. (2010, 27 August) Sustainable Design Education in New Zealand. Department of Geography Post-Graduate Symposium 2010, Department of Geography, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand. ISSN 1179-9226 (Print) ISSN 1179-9234 (Online) • Bould, NL. (2009, 1-14 June). Sustainable Design Education: A journey towards environmental activism. Paper presented at the JENESYS Programme 2008/2009, Tokyo, Japan. • Bould, NL. (2009, 18-22 October) Sustainable Design Education in New Zealand. International Association of Societies of Design Research [IASDR] 2009 Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Website: Click here
- Professional Memberships: Member (through Ahika) of the Sustainable Business Network (http://sustainable.org.nz/)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org