* grassroots experience of quality care in care facilities
* experience of Canterbury earthquake and relocation to Otago care facilities
* transitional experiences of family carers (see Aotearoa New Zealand Social Work Journal 2000)
* care at home for older people.
Research with Dr Debra Waters, Assoc. Prof Leigh Hale, Dr Linda Robertson into physical improvement and social resilience. Significant in the social resilience component of this research is the use of older people as peer-researchers.
- Location: Otago
- Qualifications: All Researchers, Certificate or Diploma, Masters Degree, PhD or Doctorate
- Ethnic Groups: New Zealand European, Other
- Area of Expertise: Ageing & Retirement, Families/ Whānau & Parenting, Social Services
- Key Publications: Age of Supported Independence (2010) Springer, Dordrecht, with Patrick Barrett and Robin GauldFamily Care and Social Capital: Transitions in Informal Care (2013) Springer, Dordrecht, authors Patrick Barrett, Beatrice Hale, Mary ButlerSocial inclusion through ageing-in-place with care? (2012) Author/s: Barrett, Patrick , Hale, Beatrice , Gauld, Robin, Ageing & SocietySocial identity: Frail elders at home (2011) in Wearing, M. (ed) Social Identity, Nova Science.Transition into an age of supported independence: a rite of passage? (2011) in De Smet, Etalon, Frederique Bauwens Rituals: Types, Efficacy and Myths, Nova Science'From We to I: becoming a carer' (2000). Aotearoa NZ Journal of Social Work
- Professional Memberships: NZASWA, SAANZ, WSA
- Phone: 09 37307599 ex82219
- Email: email@example.com