I am a senior lecturer at the University of Auckland’s Faculty of Education and Social Work. My research aims at promoting social justice and cohesion by supporting teachers to develop equitable and inclusive pedagogies to work with diverse families and communities. My research areas include: culture and identity, critical multicultural education, and superdiversity in education settings.
- Location: Auckland
- Qualifications: PhD or Doctorate
- Ethnic Groups: Chinese
- Area of Expertise: Children & Youth, Cultural Diversity, Education & Training, Families/ Whānau & Parenting, Immigrants/ Migrants & Refugees
- Key Publications: Chan, A. (2019). Te Whāriki: An early childhood curriculum in a superdiverse New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies.10.1007/s40841-019-00138-z Chan, A., & Ritchie, J. (2019). Critical pedagogies of place: Some considerations for early childhood care and education in a superdiverse 'bicultural' Aotearoa (New Zealand). International Journal of Critical Pedagogy, 10 (1), 51-75. URL: http://hdl.handle.net/2292/47168 Chan, A. (2018). Chinese immigrant families’ aspirations for children's bilingual learning in New Zealand's social spaces. International Journal of Early Years Education, 1-14. 10.1080/09669760.2018.1458598 Chan, A. (2018). Transnational parenting practices of Chinese immigrant families in New Zealand. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood, 19(3), 219-230. 10.1177/1463949117691204 Chan, A., & Spoonley, P. (2017). The politics and construction of identity and childhood: Chinese immigrant families in New Zealand. Global Studies of Childhood, 7(1), 17-28. 10.1177/2043610617694730 Chan, A., & Ritchie, J. (2016). Parents, participation, partnership: Problematising New Zealand early childhood education. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood, 17(3), 289-303. 0.1177/1463949116660954 Chan, A. (2011). Critical multiculturalism: Supporting early childhood teachers to work with diverse immigrant families. International Research in Early Childhood Education, 2(1), 63-75.
- Website: Click here
- Phone: 09-6238899ext48884
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org