Gathered here is research on the scale and significance of Non-Profits and their value in Aotearoa New Zealand.
“Overall, it looks like non profits, while crucial to New Zealand economy and society, are more precarious than they have been, for at least a decade and possibly longer.” Garth Nowland-Foreman, LEaD Centre for Not for Profit Leadership, June 2016.
This page compiles the 2004, and 2016 Statistics New Zealand reports on the Non-Profit Institutions Satellite Account, along with some associated publications, and a recording of a webinar which was broadcast and recorded on June 28th 2016 to mark the release of the 2016 publication.
2016 Non-Profits Satellite Account, Statistics New Zealand
- Non-profit institutions satellite account: 2013, Statistics NZ
- The contribution of non-profit institutions in New Zealand, (Infographic) Statistics NZ
- Non-profit institutions satellite account: March 2013, (Tables 1-1 to 1-21) Statistics NZ
- Non-profit institutions satellite account: March 2013, (Tables 2-1 to 2-42) Statistics NZ
2008 Non-Profits Satellite Account, Statistics New Zealand
- Non-Profit Institutions Satellite Account 2004 Statistics NZ
- Counting Non-Profit Institutions in New Zealand 2005 Statistics NZ
2016 Resources from Community Research
- Crushed or Just Bruised? Voluntary Organisations 25 Years Under the Bear Hug of Government Funding in Aotearoa New Zealand 2016, Nowland-Foreman. A brief commentary on 25 years of purchase-of-service contracting and its impact on organisations in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- 2016 ‘State of the Sector’ Survey – A CommVoices survey of 280 organisations showing trends in funding, demand for services, and sector resiliance.
- 2016 ‘State of the Sector’Survey – Snapshot Summary
Pre-2016 Resources from Community Research
- No Longer Overlooked and Undervalued – Launch of ‘The New Zealand Non-Profit Sector in Comparative Perspective’, Garth Nowland-Foreman
- The History of the Non-profit Sector in New Zealand, Margaret Tennant, Mike O’Brien & Jackie Sanders
- The New Zealand Non-Profit Sector and Government Policy, Mike O’Brien, Jackie Sanders and Margaret Tennant
- A Non-profit Sector Bibliography, Jackie Sanders, Mike O’Brien, Margaret Tennant
Further Resources from Statistics New Zealand
Available via the link, these resources below provide key data on not-for-profit organisations (NPOs) in Aotearoa New Zealand, including detailed information on the number of paid staff they employ, the main activity they carry out, and the definitions and groupings developed for the Non-Profit Institutions Satellite Account.
Counting What Matters – Webinar June 2016
This Community Research webinar was presented by Ian McLeod (Statistics New Zealand) and Garth Nowland-Foreman (LEaD Centre for Not for Profit Leadership).