“If you want to deal with the issue of poverty..you can’t just deal with housing, you can’t just deal with the education system. You really have to deal with the joined up nature of the problems.” (Liz Weaver, Tamarack Institute).
This Collective Impact collection gathers resources to assist groups of organisations from different sectors to work together to solve complex social problems through a common agenda, shared impact measures and systematic alignment of efforts.
On this page:
Where to start
Getting to shared measures
Places to find out more
Getting to shared measurement
- ‘Blueprint for Shared Measurement’, Inspiring Impact (UK) A comprehensive and rounded resource for practitioners.
- ‘Breakthroughs in Shared Measurement and Social Impact’ FSG 2009 Shared measurement approaches and their development; diverse collective approaches and how they work. An analysis which will deepen technical understanding.
- Achieving “Collective Impact” with Results-Based Accountability™ 2011 (PDF 578KB), Deitre Epps, Results Leadership Group. Practical descriptions of how groups are meeting the five pre-conditions of Collective Impact by using an RBA framework. A handy overview linked to RBA.
- ‘Getting to Shared Measurements’, Community Research (New Zealand) webinar, 18th February 2014, with Liz Weaver of Tamarack Institute and Maureen Gillon of Shine Collective, Porirua, New Zealand.
- Building a Performance Measurement System, Root Cause A five-step process to help organisations to develop a performance measurement system.
- Performance Management in Complex, Place-Based Work, Aspen Institute. What performance management entails, why it is useful and how to do it well, particularly in complex place-based contexts.
- Measuring Community Capacity Building – a Workbook in Progress, Aspen Institute. A practical workbook for diverse community partners to collectively set their goals.
Places to find out more
- Collective Impact Australia has resources and conferences.
- Tamarack Institute for Community Engagement, Canada. Collective Impact webinar, and other resources
- Foundation for Social Good (FSG). Collective Impact Knowledge Items, and Collective Impact Blog and Eight successful Collective Impact initiatives.
- Shared Measurement: A Catalyst to Drive Collective Learning and Action, Patricia Bowie. How the Magnolia Place community in LA selected its measures.
- “Progressing Collective Impact in New Zealand” by Megan Thomas, 17 September 2013.
Collective Impact – where to start
- “Channeling Change: Making Collective Impact Work” Social Innovation Review 2012. Collective Impact explained, for those seeking to initiate and lead collaborative initiatives. Article, Webinar and video.
- “Needle-Moving Collective Impact Guide: Community Collaborative Life Stages” Bridgespan Group, undated. A practical aide to assist all stages of collaborative planning and development, including checklists, roll-out, course-correcting, and deciding next steps.
- “Catalysing systems change through collective impact” Philanthropy New Zealand 2013 conference by Emily Tow Jackson, USA. A concise overview of Collective Impact with notes for funders of Collective Impact practice
- Update to Collective Impact model 3.0. An Evolving Framework for Community Change: As part of Tamarack’s 2016 Community Change Series, Tamarack thought leader, Mark Cabaj, and Liz Weaver decided to review the Collective Impact framework with a new perspective.
Getting to Shared Measurement in New Zealand: A recording of a 2014 Community Research webinar
Commvoices NZ, 2013 Parliamentary Breakfast
Thanks to our partners
Thanks for your help and input, which you gave generously to Community Research to develop this Collective Impact resources page.